1826 Marriage Record: Help me crack the code on a weird word

1826 Marriage Record: Help me crack the code on a weird word

Gregory
Hallo Freunde und Freundinnen!

New member here.

I am stuck on deciphering a word in the marriage record of BERNARD HERMAN HEINRICH KONERMANN and MARIA ANNA CATHARINA KNILL, 17 Jan 1826, St. Mauritius Church, Ibbenbüren, Steinfurt, NRW.

https://data.matricula-online.eu/en/deutschland/muenster/ibbenbueren-st-mauritius/KB009/?pg=17

See No. 3, right page, column 3 ("Whether the parents or guardians gave their consent"):

mit elterliche Einwilligung [next word ???] Attest der Pfarrer von Mettingen

Translation
with parental consent, the pastor from Mettingen [has a ____???] certificate

Please help, danke!

Re: 1826 Marriage Record: Help me crack the code on a weird word

Allan Cole
I am not very good with handwritten German but it might be bewilligung with a few characters missing. Maybe granting but not sure

I think maybe one word has been carried over to the next line

The word a be Attest meaning medical certificate but not sure why this would be needed

Re: 1826 Marriage Record: Help me crack the code on a weird word

Gregory
Hello Mr Cole, thanks for taking a look.

Yes, I believe "Attest" is some kind of certificate. Not sure it has to be medical, tho. The indecipherable word that precedes it probably would tell us what kind of certificate it is. Unless "attest" is an abbreviation for "attesten"?

This priest uses this phrase a lot. I've looked at many examples of it in nearby pages of the Registry. Sometimes the word in question starts with a capital letter. Take a look at these:

No. 12, column 4:
https://data.matricula-online.eu/en/deutschland/muenster/ibbenbueren-st-mauritius/KB009/?pg=10

No. 16, column 4:
https://data.matricula-online.eu/en/deutschland/muenster/ibbenbueren-st-mauritius/KB009/?pg=11

No. 31, column 4:
https://data.matricula-online.eu/en/deutschland/muenster/ibbenbueren-st-mauritius/KB009/?pg=13

Thanks!

Re: 1826 Marriage Record: Help me crack the code on a weird word

Allan Cole
I will need to look more thoroughly but it seems to be some sort of certificate of age.

i agree it is certificate not necessarily medical. From your examples it seems the type of certificate may be indicated by the word. They may be community certificates from one village to another in some cases. In other cases they may be age certificates or even medical certificates indicating they would not be a burden on the parish. As you say sometimes a Capital letter is used. I tend to think that it is a certificate of some kind between villages. I will watch your post for a clearer answer,

Re: 1826 Marriage Record: Help me crack the code on a weird word

Allan Cole
Gregory, A new thought is that it is Laut Attest. According to the certificate.

Re: 1826 Marriage Record: Help me crack the code on a weird word

Futse
mit elterl.(icher)
Bewilligung
laut Attest
der Pfarr.
von Met=
tingen

meaning:
with parental permission according to the certificate of the parish of Mettingen

Re: 1826 Marriage Record: Help me crack the code on a weird word

Gregory
Thank you, Futse.

Is "laut" an obsolete word for "according to" or is it still common in modern German?

Thank you, Allen. I think you are correct.

Re: 1826 Marriage Record: Help me crack the code on a weird word

Futse
Hi Gregory,

the German word "laut" for "according to" ist still common - you can hear it everyday in the news.

Re: 1826 Marriage Record: Help me crack the code on a weird word

berliner_genealogy
I am a professional genealogist and was born and raised in Germany. I woud love to help you with your research. Shoot me an email, if you are interested!
berliner.genealogy@gmail.com