german ancester help needed

Gene James
This post was updated on .
QUESTION:
        Have ancestor Elizabeth “GROPPEL”   married with Frederick Meyer, son of Herman Meyer.
The surname is “provided by Herman in the death record of his son Frederick and therefore should be correct.
However, I have searched census and other genealogy records and have found essentially no records for this surname.
Perhaps the information was written with some Prussian style letters and miss-read by whoever filled out the death certificate.  Perhaps the information was spoken with an accent and entered phonetically.
        Oral family history says they were from “Bonn” which is in the Nordhein-Westfalen region A US Census entry widely showed in printed books that they were from “Germany” – but the original hand written census records showed they had said they were from “Prussia”.  Prussia had been crossed out by some census person and replaced by the handwritten “Germany" -- probably for "standardization..
         The 1900 US Census says Frederick arrived 1871 + naturalized + speaks, reads, and writes in English.
I have not been able to find emigration or immigration records and have not found naturalization records either.

Is there any variation in “Groppel” that might have resulted from Herman saying her name but someone else entering the data into the death certificate – or any other historical distortions?    Is Groppel more frequently found in some Prussian region?  Any other suggestions for birth area or alternate ways to spell Groppel will be greatly appreciated.

Gene James wgjklnj99@gmail.com

Re: german ancester help needed

Merrill
Hi Gene - This is a great question for our Mentors and Translation Group. They act as the GGG's help desk. You can reach out directly at gghelp@germangenealogygroup.com. They helped me break down a 10-year old brick wall and got me back 4 generations.
Good luck - Merrill