brooklyn soap business 1886

Pam Bell
I'm trying to find my great great granfather, Augustus Wilhelm Muller's place of employment in 1885. It lists him as soap manufacturer,he was a chemist specializing in soap making. his business adress is Tompkins ave and Flushing corner. No name on the business and i have tried to get more information from the Brooklyn historical society with no luck. He is listed in the directory also in 1886 shows as soap again with just home address. Is there a business directory with addresses somewhere or map with business listing?
Also if someone was coming to new york in 1884 where was the most popular port of emmigration? I can't seem to find his emmigration papers.e He probably came over from  Liverpool or London.
Any help appreciated
Pam Bell

Re: brooklyn soap business 1886

Denise
Not sure if you still need help with this, but I used New York City Directory, Trow. It listed businesses by category. I was able to find addresses of the business I was looking for. I believe there is one for Brooklyn. I used google books and ancestry to access them. There are different books for different years. Good Luck!