Zerbst

Daniel Crawford
My great Grandfather Gottlieb August Zerbst was born 31/Oct/1859 in Schwersens, Posen. I believe his father, of the same name, to have also been born in Schwersens in 1827. I know very little about them. I can trace Gottlieb Jr. to the U.S. around 1873. I sure would appreciate any help with this. Thank you!

Re: Zerbst

Deborah Luttenberger
Hi Daniel,

Not sure if you found any more but I found Gottlieb’s baptism record which names his mother and father.

Name: Gottlieb August Zerbst
Gender: Male
Birth Date: 31 Okt 1859 (31 Oct 1859)
Baptism Date: 13 Nov 1859
Baptism Place: Schwersens,Posen,Prussia
Father: Gottlieb Zerbst
Mother: Juliane Kowalski
FHL Film Number: 764053, 764054

The record can be found at Familysearch.org using the FHL film number.

I located Gottlieb’s death certificate at Ancestry.  He died 14 Oct 1911 in Houghton, Michigan.  The death certificate lists his father but his mother as unknown.

I also found Gottlieb’s marriage to Mary Lenz (Lentze) the 24th of April 1896 in Houghton Michigan along with their divorce decree 22 Dec 1904.

Not sure if you wanted to go further back or learn more about Gottlieb August.  Let me know, I’m finding a great deal of info.  Feel free to email me directly if you like.

Debby
tomndebby@comcast.net

Re: Zerbst

Deborah Luttenberger
Daniel,

I did a little more digging and found Gottlieb’s obituary.  You should be able to view it from this link.

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/34011029/gottlieb_zerbst_obituary/

I also found the records for his two sisters births.  They are as follows:

Name: Wilhelmine Albertine Zerbst
Gender: Female
Birth Date: 3 Jul 1858
Baptism Date: 11 Jul 1858