Where is/was Deben, Germany?

Hoot
Passenger List, Ship "Johannes", Bremen to Baltimore 28 June 1852 Hi! New member here. One set of my 2nd great granparents were German immigrants. My 2nd GGF, John Adam Knüpfer/Knipfer (known as Adam) arrived in Baltimore from Bremen on 28 June 1852. The passenger list (a copy of which I hope I have attached) says he & the woman accompanying him (his younger sister, I believe) were from Deben. Someone told me that Deben was called "Töpen" but did not provide any source for that. I did find Töpen on the map, but I'd like to know if that's really the same place as Deben. If not, where was Deben? I can't find any Deben in Germany. According to US census records, Adam was born in Bavaria, so I would expect Deben to be somewhere in or near that. Thanks for any help or guidance! Martha Watson aunthoot@gmail.com

Re: Where is/was Deben, Germany?

Alexandra
Could it be Döben in Saxony?

Re: Where is/was Deben, Germany?

sabine
When you go on https://meta.genealogy.net/?lang=en, fill in the Family name Knüpfer and the place name Töpen (fill in exactly with the letters with the dots) then you will get some matches.

Ancestry also provides records for example for a Johann Jacob Knüpfer, born in 1832 in Töpen (Toepen), died 2. December 1892 in Frankfurt/Main. His parents were Johann Adam Knüpfer and Christiane Sophie Naumann aus Töpen. Maybe these are the brother and parents of your Johann Adam Knüpfer?

I also could not find a place Deben in any book or the internet. I would try to get to find the parish register from Töpen which belongs to the Dekanat in Hof/Bavaria to find maybe the birth records for 1834. Another way would be to try to check the other people from the list which came from Deben. Maybe someone was searching them already and found some hints to the place.

Maybe it helps.
Sabine

Re: Where is/was Deben, Germany?

Hoot
Danke, Sabine!  I will follow up on all of your suggestions!

Thanks very much!
Martha Watson
Coldwater, MI

On 5/1/2021 8:14:33 PM, "sabine [via German Genealogy Group Forum]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

http://german-genealogy-group-forum.78031.x6.nabble.com/Where-is-was-Deben-Germany-tp8342p8346.html
To unsubscribe from Where is/was Deben, Germany?, click here.
NAML