Uthoff - New Member + Lost emigrantfamily in New York

Uthoff - New Member + Lost emigrantfamily in New York

Matthias Uthoff
Hi all,

my name is Matthias Uthoff from Germany and since today I am a member of German Genealogy Group.
I do research since 2001 and also since then I try to find all the emigrants in my family and there descandents.

Couple month ago I came across that a Heinrich Wilhelm Uthoff, born November 1st 1822 in Oldendorf (Preussisch Oldendorf) has been in 1851 in Durlach, Granddutchy of Baden.
He was the father of an illegitimate daughter there. He never married the mother Catharina Dorothea Nestle, born December 16th 1828 in Durlach.

I found the entire family with a second daughter in 1855 in the New York, State Census of 1855. Looks like they married or they said they did. Where and when I don’t know. In the census he is also 10 years younger as his he should be. Age 23 instat of 33.

I couldn’t find so far any what happened to them after that. That is my first emigrant family which probaly ended up in New York. All the others moved west.

At the moment I am stuck here. I tried all kinds of recourses and databases to find them but no luck. Is there somebody in the group who maybe could help?

I uploaded all files into my googledrive account in a sepprate folder. I would really appreciate it if somebody could help.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9wbABT8YIAuSGhxUWxJOTRaV2c&usp=sharing

Matthias Uthoff

Re: Uthoff - New Member + Lost emigrantfamily in New York

Mike Thumm
Hi Matthias,

I have found some results that may be of help to you.

A “Henry Uthoff” appears in New York City Directories as follows.  It appears from the 1876 directories entries in particular that the carpenter, beer dealer, and builder are one and the same man.  The Morgenthaler name in the 1872 directory entry matches the name of the witness for the record you have for the naturalization of Henry Uthoff.

1867 – carpenter – home at 127 Norfolk – in Trow’s NYC Directory
1872 – beer – at 153 ½ Stanton – in NY, NY Directory
1872 – carpenter -- r504 E. 16th St, h 38 Stanton - in NY, NY Directory
1872 – Uthoff & Morgenthaler – carpenters – - r504 E. 16th St -- in NY, NY Directory
1875 – beer—216 Division – Gouldings NYC Dir
1876 – beer – 216 Division – Gouldings NYC Directory
1876 – carpenter – 9 Hester, 4 Hester – Gouldings NYC Directory
1876 – beer 216 Division, home at 4 Hester – NY, NYC Directory
1877 – builder – 9 Hester, home at 9 Suffolk – NY, NYC Directory 1877

I found a record for a Caroline Uthoff who died on 3. Jan. 1923 at age 76.  This record appears in various forms on ancestry.com, findagrave.com, the German Genealogy Group death record database for NYC, and also in the Greenwood Cemetery burial index for Lot 20743, Section 174.  The age of 76 does not match Caroline’s birthdate of 1851 but I think there is a chance that it is the same person.

I found a record on familysearch.org for an “Uthoff”, German, age 29, who died on 1. Jan. 1858 in Manhattan and is buried in Union Cemetery.  This could possibly be Catharina Dorothea Nestle Uthoff.

I have not been able to figure out how to attach the copies of all these records to this post.  My email is mthumm@comcast.net.  If you like, send me your email address and I will email you the copies of the files that I mentioned above.

Otherwise, perhaps someone reading this post could guide me through the process of adding attachments to the forum.

Best Regards,
Mike Thumm

Re: Uthoff - New Member + Lost emigrantfamily in New York

Matthias Uthoff
Hi Mike,

thank your for your help. I would be happy to get the images. Will email you privat for that.

I also came across German Genealogy Group death record database for NYC, for Caroline. But I think more that her maiden name is Hoffmann and that she has been married to Louis Uthoff.

Caroline Uthoff United States Census, 1900
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MSV1-5DK

I am not complete sure if the naturalization record I have for Henry is really my guy. Because that record is 13 years after he arrived. Is it normally not faster that the immgrants got there naturalization? Otherwise the occupation would make sence. He was a carpenter when has daughter got born in Durlach, Baden.
New York research is not easy. Not only because of the size of the city. Also because I have not so much knowledge about the record and archive history. I know about the fire of 1911 in the state library but not much more.

Thanks again

Matthias Uthoff

Re: Uthoff - New Member + Lost emigrantfamily in New York

Marie V Melchiori
Immigrants did apply for Naturalization years after arrival. As for the name appearing on the GGG Death Index you need to look at the actual death certificate, see who was the informant and if the names of the parents are listed. Do you have a copy of the death certificate?

Re: Uthoff - New Member + Lost emigrantfamily in New York

Matthias Uthoff
Marie, no I am sorry I don’t have a copy of the death certificate.

Re: Uthoff - New Member + Lost emigrantfamily in New York

Barbara Metzger
Here is the death certificate information from Familysearch.org

Name: Caroline Uthoff
Titles and Terms:
Event Type: Death
Event Date: 31 Dec 1922
Event Place: Manhattan, New York, New York, United States
Address: 448 Central Park W.
Residence Place: Manhattan
Gender: Female
Age: 76
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Occupation: Housewife
Birth Date:
Birth Year (Estimated): 1846
Birthplace: U. S.
Burial Date: 03 Jan 1923
Burial Place:
Cemetery: Greenwood
Father's Name: Adam Hoffman
Father's Titles and Terms:
Father's Birthplace: Germany
Mother's Name: Anna Haager
Mother's Titles and Terms:
Mother's Birthplace: Germany
Spouse's Name: Louis Uthoff
Spouse's Titles and Terms:
Spouse's Gender:
Spouse's Age:
Spouse's Birth Year (Estimated):
Spouse's Father's Name:
Spouse's Father's Titles and Terms:
Spouse's Mother's Name:
Spouse's Mother's Titles and Terms:
Note:
Reference ID: cn 155
GS Film Number: 2030433
Frame Number:

Citing this Record:
"New York, New York City Municipal Deaths, 1795-1949," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2W12-RD5 : 20 March 2015), Caroline Uthoff, 31 Dec 1922; citing Death, Manhattan, New York, New York, United States, New York Municipal Archives, New York; FHL microfilm 2,030,433.

Best regards,
Barbara