New member

Cecelia
Hallo!
My name is Cecelia and I am a new member to the group. I live in southeast PA but am originally from north Jersey.
I am doing my family tree currently but coming up against a brick wall when it comes to my fathers side. I had been told in my much younger years there was a name change creating what is now my last name. Unfortunately, my dad passed away when I was ten and didn't get nearly enough info to support this possible rumor. I am now searching Ancestry.com using the name I was told was the orignal family name-there are so many pages to look through that I'm doing it in stages to keep my sanity (o:
Anyway, it's nice to be here among other folks doing the same type of investigative work, lol!
Cecelia

RE: New member

cooperkvrs

Hi Cecelia!,

Welcome!

Where in Jersey is your family from?

I am a genealogist/researcher from NJ – my family, as did many, came from Germany/Alsace, to NYC, pit-stopping there as the family broke up and moved in different directions of the States.

My portion moved to Newark, NJ, where other family were waiting – if you would like help, give me a shout.  My e-add is listed below!

Kelly Vogel-Cooper

[hidden email]

My name is Cecelia and I am a new member to the group. I live in southeast PA but am originally from north Jersey.
I am doing my family tree currently but coming up against a brick wall when it comes to my fathers side. I had been told in my much younger years there was a name change creating what is now my last name. Unfortunately, my dad passed away when I was ten and didn't get nearly enough info to support this possible rumor. I am now searching Ancestry.com using the name I was told was the orignal family name-there are so many pages to look through that I'm doing it in stages to keep my sanity (o:
Anyway, it's nice to be here among other folks doing the same type of investigative work, lol!
Cecelia

http://german-genealogy-group-forum.78031.x6.nabble.com/New-member-tp111.html

To start a new topic under German Genealogy Group Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from German Genealogy Group Forum, click here.
NAML

Re: New member

Judd Kramarcik
Hi Cecelia,

Chipping away at brick walls can be time consuming and frustrating.
However the thrill of finding new pieces of the puzzle are well worth it.  A lot of time going local helps.  I have some relatives from New Jersey.  Visiting the local library in New Brunswick helped a great deal with a brick wall because they have on-line paper searches and microfilm papers dating back to the 1870s.
Also as a recent suggestion from a GGG member, visiting local surrogate courts to find wills has been a good resource.  I traveled to Norwalk CT and found the will and distribution of property of my gg grandfather that died in 1898. Persistence is the key.
Good Luck!

Re: New member/name changes

Linda
Hi Cecelia-

Don't know if you've solved your mystery, but there is an online database from the NJ State Archives where you can search legal name changes from 1847-1947. You can search without buying the certificate. Here's a link:

https://wwwnet-dos.state.nj.us/DOS_ArchivesDBPortal/index.aspx

Good luck.