New member intro

Sandra
17 Sept 1938 • Berlin, Brandenburg, Preußen

Hi, everyone!  I am very glad to be a part of this group.  I have been researching my mother's German roots using Ancestry and similar resources but with very little success.  Unfortunately, Mom passed last year and so have other immediate relatives in her seemingly small family.

Using Ancestry, I was able to locate the marriage record of Mom's parents almost immediately.  It confirmed for me that my grandfather was a German soldier during WWII.  The record seems to indicate that he was stationed in Berlin when they married in 1939, although the details are written in script and hard to make out.  I have not found even a single record beyond this one.  Nothing of their births or deaths, and nothing of my mother's or her brother's birth either.

Am I crazy to go digging further?  I hesitate to ask questions about Nazi history, SA, SS, etc. when I am working within Ancestry or similar sites.  This is my family, good, bad or otherwise.  I want to learn more, but I don't want to bark up the wrong tree for help.

Any advice would be welcomed!  Thanks in advance.

Sandra

Re: New member intro

sabine
Administrator
Hello Sandra,

I am from Germany, lived in Berlin, my family is from the area and both of my grandfathers were soldiers in WWII as well as prisoners of war. So maybe I could help a little.

My e-mail is s.gorgas@aol.com.

Best wishes

Sabine

Re: New member intro

Sandra
Thank you, Sabine!  I will contact you via email.