Military records

Jane Margaret
Where can I find military records in Germany that cover the second half of the 19th century? I believe that my great grandfather served in the Army sometime between 1870-1885. Thanks for your help in locating sources of information to help me verify his service in the German Army.

Re: Military records

sabine
Administrator
Just some general ideas:
https://www.bundesarchiv.de/EN/Navigation/Use/Using-specific-types/Military-Records/military-records-en.html
https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Germany_Military_Records
www.ancestry.com has also records, but access is not for free
http://wiki-de.genealogy.net/Kategorie:Militaria_in_der_DigiBib
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_staatlicher_Archive

Depending on the rank or what conflict your ancestor was involved in you also could find his name in digitized books on pages like google.books.

Germany has also several State archives which have records.

Good luck!
Sabine