Immigration through Canada

Chuckm22
I am a new member and looking for help in finding information about German families that went to Canada before coming to the USA. The Nicholas Dienst family is my biological paternal family, and they lived in " Upper Canada" before coming to the USA about 1839. Nicholas was born in "Prussia" about 1799 and moved to Canada sometime after that. I have not been able to track their history in Canada or find a searchable data base for immigrants coming to Canada during that time period. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Chuck Murray

Re: Immigration through Canada

Dennis Macauley
Chuck, did you ever get an answer to this?  I can't find my gg grandfather's entry into the US, in the 1830's or 1840's, but there is some evidence there was a connection to Toronto.  I have not done an exhaustive search but have found nothing. When he served in the US Army during the Civil War, his wife moved from NYC to Toronto, presumably living with relatives there.

Re: Immigration through Canada

Chuckm22
Thanks for your interest in my genealogy. I have not received any response to my inquiry. This is one of my "Brick Walls" and I know that there is an answer out there somewhere. I know that my GG Grandfather was born in "Prussia" in 1799 or very close to 1799. I have not be able to determine a place or specific date of birth nor a path of emigration from Prussia to the Waterloo Region in Canada. The earliest documentation I have is a wedding announcement showing his marriage on January 2, 1838 in Wilmot, Waterloo, Ontario (then known as Upper Canada). The announcement was in a German Newspaper published in Waterloo.

Chuck Murray

In a message dated 12/30/2019 2:35:52 PM Eastern Standard Time, [hidden email] writes:

Chuck, did you ever get an answer to this?  I can't find my gg grandfather's entry into the US, in the 1830's or 1840's, but there is some evidence there was a connection to Toronto.  I have not done an exhaustive search but have found nothing. When he served in the US Army during the Civil War, his wife moved from NYC to Toronto, presumably living with relatives there.

http://german-genealogy-group-forum.78031.x6.nabble.com/Immigration-through-Canada-tp187p8224.html
To unsubscribe from Immigration through Canada, click here.
NAML