How do I know which name.

Sheryl Mulea
According to my great, great grandfather’s birth & marriage certificate his father’s name is listed as Jacob, yet on his sister Margaretha ‘s mausoleum memorial it says her mother’s husband’s name was Carl. I understand people had multiple names at the time, but when I found a family plot it listed a Charles as the purchaser who left a legacy plot to his daughter Margaretha. I cannot find a Charles at all & realize that is an American/English translation/form of Karl, but that still doesn’t help me get back to Jacob. I realize his name might have been Karl(Carl/Charles) Jacob or Jacob Karl (Carl/Charles) and know his wife was listed as a widow on the 1880 census, but the Charles buried in the family plot died in 1867 after purchasing it 3 years prior. I see Mrs. Schmidt living with her widowed single mother daughter on the 1870 census, but it does not say she is a widow at that point. It’s hard to find confirmation of her husband’s death when I’m not sure which name to search Jacob, Carl, or Charles. Ant thoughts on how to figure this out are appreciated.

Re: How do I know which name.

Allan Cole
This is not a lot of help but since you have certificates I would first assume them especially the marriage certificate to be more correct. The mausoleum could have been done later and have errors. Even so your only real option is to follow each name. Given the dates have you identified the passenger list which will probably give you a German name as a clue and possibly even a native village which is crucial.