Hi all! GGP questions! :D

Kim

Hi all! GGP questions! :D

Kim
Hello all! Thank you so, so much for such a great website, forum, and group! I am pleased to have found a community that focuses on Germany ancestry!

So, here is my conundrum. My bio dad was estranged since I was 7. He passed in 2012, unfortunately, so we were never able to rekindle any kind of relationship. I have just reconnected with his brothers, but we don’t speak very often as it is. Anyway, I began my genealogical journey for my maternal grandmother, but naturally (I feel) I drifted off to the side of the family I never knew: my paternal side. To my ecstatic surprise, my paternal grandmother was 2nd generation American. Through Ancestry and FamilySearch, I have been able to track her grandparents back to Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Through federal census records, I have found a few conflicting immigration dates, but dates nonetheless, for two (maybe three, I’ll have to check my records again real quick) of the four ggp’s that immigrated from Germany. Beyond that, I don’t have places where they were born and there were a ton of Maria Mueller’s that immigrated around 1885. Lol. I don’t know which ports they came in from, which ports they left, anything.

That being said, would anyone have any tried-and-true websites I can try to use to find their immigrations records? My husband and I are planning a once-in-a-lifetime, 15th wedding anniversary trot across Europe and I would love to visit the land of my ancestors while we’re there!

Thank you all so, so much!

Re: Hi all! GGP questions! :D

Mark
You didn't say what immigration dates you had gotten from census records. Depending on the time frame, the later naturalization records give the date of immigration, ship name, etc. If you haven't done so, try to find the naturalization records--the GGG site has indexes to most NY & NJ naturalizations. If you find it then contact NARA for the actual records.

Re: Hi all! GGP questions! :D

Carol
If you are trying to find where in Germany they came from, I would also try finding the church marriage record from the first marriage in the US. Some churches listed the parents and town in Germany they came from.