Help Locating A German Passport Record

brodygray
Hello All,

I’m relatively new to this group. I am looking for info related
to my GGM’s German passport. She emigrated from Magdeburg, Germany to the US in 1913. I’m assuming that at that time she would have needed a German passport in order to travel abroad.

She traveled through the port of Bremen, and I have her ship manifest details.

I saw that the LDS may have the passport records for passports issued through Hamburg, but it is not available online.

Thank you!!

Re: Help Locating A German Passport Record

sabine
Administrator
Hello,

here is a link with information where to get the information, but there is nothing online.
http://recherche.landesarchiv.sachsen-anhalt.de/Query/archivplansuche.aspx?ID=57106

This here is the important information with people who requested passports in 1913 or before:
http://recherche.landesarchiv.sachsen-anhalt.de/Query/detail.aspx?id=57035

Maybe you can write to the Archive in Magdeburg and they can help.

In case you are looking for more information from Magdeburg try it here:
https://www.online-ofb.de/famlist.php?ofb=magdeburg&b=A&lang=en
http://gov.genealogy.net/search/name
http://wiki-de.genealogy.net/GOV:MAGURGJO52TC

Maybe you would like to give me a name, that I can help more?

Good luck
Sabine - born and raised in Magdeburg

Re: Help Locating A German Passport Record

brodygray
Hallo Sabine,

wie geht's? I received my great-grandmother's birth certificate from Magedburg last year. Based on the certification on page 2 - does this authenticate her German citizenship?

Nice to hear we originate from the same town.

Vielen Dank,

Damian

On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 9:23 PM sabine [via German Genealogy Group Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

here is a link with information where to get the information, but there is nothing online.
http://recherche.landesarchiv.sachsen-anhalt.de/Query/archivplansuche.aspx?ID=57106

This here is the important information with people who requested passports in 1913 or before:
http://recherche.landesarchiv.sachsen-anhalt.de/Query/detail.aspx?id=57035

Maybe you can write to the Archive in Magdeburg and they can help.

In case you are looking for more information from Magdeburg try it here:
https://www.online-ofb.de/famlist.php?ofb=magdeburg&b=A&lang=en
http://gov.genealogy.net/search/name
http://wiki-de.genealogy.net/GOV:MAGURGJO52TC

Maybe you would like to give me a name, that I can help more?

Good luck
Sabine - born and raised in Magdeburg

http://german-genealogy-group-forum.78031.x6.nabble.com/Help-Locating-A-German-Passport-Record-tp8314p8315.html
To unsubscribe from Help Locating A German Passport Record, click here.
NAML

Margarethe Thews Birth Certificate.pdf (352K) Download Attachment

Re: Help Locating A German Passport Record

brodygray
Hallo Sabine,

her name was Margarethe Thews. She was born in 1893 to Hermann Thews & Frederike Mertens.

Best Regards,

Damian

NAML

NAML

Re: Help Locating A German Passport Record

sabine
Administrator
Hello Damian,

Danke der Nachfrage. Mir geht es gut, und Dir?

That is interesting. Your family lived in a part of Magdeburg I know well. A part of my family lived there until about seven years ago. Magdeburg-Buckau was a very industrial area. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckau_(Magdeburg)

Your family lived in Magdeburg-Buckau, Dorotheenstraße 12. Unfortunately this area was very much destroyed in several bomb attacks in WWII, so that there are not many old buildings left in that part of Dorotheenstraße. Dorotheenstraße 10 is a newer appartment buildung today. But there are a lot of pictures in the internet available which can give you a good idea how they lived in those days.

The stamp on page 2 is just an official stamp to verify that the copy is from the original Geburtsregister of the Standesamt Magdeburg-Buckau. It also mentions that this official certification is just to be used for the purposes of matters regarding the citizenship.

I don't know how far you are with this family, but on ancestry are more records available. There is also the marriage certificate of Margarethe's parents, her fathers death certificate.

If you are interested I can send it to your e-mail.

And if there are more questions, let me know...

Best wishes
Sabine

Re: Help Locating A German Passport Record

brodygray
Vielen Dank. I would love that!!

That would be great. I’m trying to determine what I need to prove her citizenship.

Best Regards,

Damian

http://german-genealogy-group-forum.78031.x6.nabble.com/Help-Locating-A-German-Passport-Record-tp8314p8319.html