Genealogy Software

George J Waldbusser
I'm brand new to this forum as well as genealogy.  I see the many online services, such as ancestry.com.  However I retrieve information, I want to be able to keep the information on my computer, and not pay ongoing fees to have access to it.  Could anyone recommend software that would allow me to do this?  (My main computer runs Windows XP, and I have a lesser-used machine that runs Windows 10.  Thank you.

Re: Genealogy Software

Marie
I use Legacy 8 Deluxe, it runs fine on my old XP. I upgraded my computer to Windows 7 Pro and the program still runs fine. They now have a version 9 https://legacyfamilytree.com/DownloadUpdate.asp.
You can download a free version of the standard Legacy and play with it. The Deluxe version has much more than the standard version. Both versions allow you to "cite your sources."

I use Legacy along with CLOOZ http://cloozsetups.ancestralsystems.com/. CLOOZ is not a genealogy program but allows you to keep track of your documents. The support for CLOOZ is great.
Marie

RE: Genealogy Software

George J Waldbusser
Marie -

Thanks so much for this.  I'm downloading the free version just to get started and will probably upgrade later.  I'll also check out the CLOOZ program.

Happy Thanksgiving.
George.

Re: Genealogy Software

MartinN
Try GRAMPS

https://gramps-project.org/introduction-WP/

It is a free, open source and full featured.

Re: Genealogy Software

George J Waldbusser
Thank you.