DNA testing for ancestry

chrisk@westernsem.edu
Do any of the commercially available DNA tests allow regional identification among the different parts of Germany?  I would like to pinpoint the region of Germany that my Kaiser ancestors came from in the mid-19th century.

Re: DNA testing for ancestry

Christopher Kaiser
For those who are interested in the question I raised of pinning down ancestral regions in Germany, the answer is clearly given by Teri Callahan in the GGG Newsletter, Der Ahnenforscher #16, p. 12.  Thank you, Teri.

Re: DNA testing for ancestry

Barbara DeOliveira
More and more Germans from Germany are taking DNA tests.  Soon it could be viable.

Also there is a DNA company that is planning to do a breakdown of German DNA.  While it is not available now, it should be in the near future.
Kim

Re: DNA testing for ancestry

Kim
I just got my results back from LivingDNA and they were able to pinpoint areas and percentages of my DNA. However, they were not able to pinpoint any of my Western European. I read that LivingDNA’s southeast England and East Anglia results are most likely actually Western European results IF you were expecting W. European. Just an option! :)
TS

Re: DNA testing for ancestry

TS
What company is thinking about breaking down German DNA?

Re: DNA testing for ancestry

Deborah Luttenberger
23andme indicates my German heritage is from Bavaria and Mecklenburg-Vorpommern.

My maternal grandfather was born in Lichtenhagen, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern

My maternal (on her mother’s side) grandparents were born in Bosenbach, Bavaria

Pretty spot on.  My research this far indicates that the families were in those towns for at least 150 years or more.

Now if I could just figure out where my paternal Irish DNA comes from I’d be a happy camper.

Debby