Brick Wall in Wurmlingen Germany

bolts99
Okay I have hit a brick wall in the village of Wurmlingen Germany. It's actually for my 4 times great grandfather. His baptism record states Merk for the last name which is his mother's maiden last name. Father's name unknown from November 9 1789. Mother's name is Katharina Merk. Marriage record form June 22 1830 states last name as Portai instead of Meck. Mother didn't know who the father was at the time of birth but remembers it when her son marries. I have attached the marriage record and birth record. I am wondering how do I got back further on his mother's line since I don't have any more information on her. I am presuming that she was born no later than 1770 and born in the same village.